Monday, December 10, 2012

Art with a Capital A

{Taking a break from studying for finals}

Art for me is a different world that I have not yet reconciled with.

Art is an emotional state where I am alone, by myself.

Art is something I can't really write about, yet somehow people see it.

Art is the label that people put on me, and the label I put on myself; however, the two seem really different.

Art is when I look at art.

Art describes communication, music, crafts, and statements.

Art is a manifestation of thoughts, feelings, and desires.

Art is intentionla typo.

Art is something that I idolized. 

Art is where my ambitions are.

Art is when people ask if I am an Art major.

Art is when I think about whether or not it would be different if I chose to go to an art school my senior year in high school.

Art is when I need to take a break.

Art is what Brett Walker taught me the past summer, about his beard and apple-eating.

I don't know how I can live without art, whatever art is. One thing I know: without art, I would have gone crazy four years ago, when I decided to leave Taiwan for the United States. It's almost like talking about God. 

I don't know God, yet He knows me.
I don't know art, yet art knows me. 

That's why I said I idolize art. 

One person who inspired me greatly was Reed Easley. She was my metal-smithing teacher in high school. I like her genuine character. I like how she dedicates her life to art. I also appreciate how she mentored me during the time I stayed in the metal shop everyday after school. That metal shop was like a home to me. Filled with thoughts, stories, and people who are opinionated and persistent.

I love art, whatever it is.
I have changed so much after a year spent at Berkeley. Beliefs, moral values, and ambitions. You name it.

I want to become a mentor, in whatever form or medium. I want to tell someone to embrace his/her art, whatever that is. I want to tell that person

"Whatever art is, it is one of the few things that have remained the same throughout my whole life; it is something that I continue to appreciate and pursue."

I am sane now. Time to go back to studying.

3 comments:

  1. For me,

    Art is expressions that I don't mind no one else understands.

    Art is expressions that would be great if it brings joy to this world.

    Art is what I was told too late to learn and master.

    Art is what I am willing to keep trying no matter what I end up with.

    Art is every drip of my untold feelings.

    Art is every note I play with my heart and soul.

    Really, I don't know what is art. I only know it's what I need to be a complete and sensitive spirit.

    Good for you to find it, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, being a mentor is a good thing because the world does not have enough art or people who appreciate art. And even if people do not create actual pieces of art, the spirit of art can imbue their lives and influence the direction their lives take. It is quite a challenge but no shortage of opportunity.

    For me,

    Art, simply, is a blend of beauty and humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the replies =)
    It's nice to know what art means to people.

    ReplyDelete